Salesforce Integration Overview
Ironclad's Salesforce Integration consists of three sub-features:
- Workflow Launch allows an Ironclad user to create a contract by pre-filling Ironclad launch forms with data pulled from Salesforce, either to launch a workflow or update it if information in Salesforce changes. Workflow Launch can also be leveraged by building a button in Salesforce to redirect users to Ironclad with the launch form pre-filled. Workflow Launch can pull from standard or custom objects.
- Workflow Sync provides transparency into the progress of a workflow in Ironclad directly in Salesforce using the Ironclad Workflow object. Workflow Sync requires the installation of the Ironclad Managed Package.
- Record Sync pushes completed contracts from Ironclad (including the associated metadata and, if desired, the signed PDF) to a Contract object in Salesforce. If applicable, Record Sync can also update existing Salesforce objects (e.g., update fields on an Opportunity) or create new Salesforce objects (e.g., create a new Contact with the signer's name, title, and email).
The Three Sub-Features of the Ironclad Salesforce Integration
Note: Our Salesforce integration is compatible with both Salesforce Classic and Salesforce Lightning.
You can access the Salesforce configuration page under the Integrations tab in Company Settings on www.ironcladapp.com. Once signed in, click your name in the top-left corner, and select Company Settings then Integrations. This page will show all of your currently configured integrations.
To integrate your Salesforce instance with Ironclad, you will need the following components:
- Administrator privileges in Ironclad. If you don't see the Company Settings option, you may not be an Administrator. For Admin privileges, please contact your Ironclad CSM or a member of your Legal team who is responsible for your Ironclad deployment.
- One of the following Salesforce Editions:
- A Salesforce account to link to Ironclad
Salesforce Integration Components
Salesforce authentication and data transfer consists of three main components:
- Service Account - It is responsible for Workflow Sync to create/write updates to the Ironclad Workflow object and Record Sync object creates/writes/reads/edits. Note: We highly recommend using a generic service account (e.g. email@example.com), instead of an individual named user license.
- Individual Accounts - Individuals must connect their Salesforce accounts in order to use Workflow Launch. This will be used to read information from mapped Salesforce fields and fill in launch form information. It will also respect any permissions the user has in Salesforce, which can result in errors (“Pull from Salesforce” might fail).
- Managed Package - You can install Ironclad’s Managed Package to your Salesforce instance, which consists of five Custom objects. These objects will be used to receive structured information about the contracting workflow in Ironclad as it progresses through the steps. We also highly recommend that you Install for All Users to make sure that there are no permissions issues.
After you've installed Ironclad's Managed Package, you will also need to create the following field in your Salesforce instance:
- Custom Lookup Relationship field type on Salesforce object (i.e. Account or Opportunity) to Ironclad Workflow
Note: Add the Ironclad Workflow field to your 'Page Layout' to enable Workflow Sync. This will provide a link directly in Salesforce to track your Ironclad workflows.
Ironclad uses OAuth Authentication when integrating with Salesforce. The service account is used to connect the two instances and create/write/read/edit objects in Salesforce. An individual’s account is used to read from the objects they have access to in Salesforce. Because Ironclad authenticates with OAuth, you can revoke access from Ironclad whenever necessary.
Service Account Requirements
The service account does not need System Admin privileges in Salesforce, but will need create/read/write/create permissions on objects, depending on your integration set-up (e.g., Account, Opportunity, Quote, Ironclad Contract, etc.).
Data Transfer Methodology
Ironclad sends data directly between servers via the Salesforce API, rather than having the browsers communicate across domains. The only data that is transferred across domains in the browser are Salesforce Object IDs. When you have an Ironclad launch button in Salesforce, it is a URL that contains the Salesforce Object ID (the launch target). Ironclad will take that Object ID and ask Salesforce for the relevant fields via the API using server-to-server communication.
Ironclad / Salesforce setup documentation: https://support.ironcladapp.com/hc/en-us/sections/360001903611-Salesforce
Salesforce documentation on OAuth: