This topic will walk you through how to configure Workflow Designer to create contract relationships.
To link a workflow to existing records with contract relationships, the workflow configuration must be set up to create relationships.
Complete each of these sections in order:
- Add a Contract Relationship Launch Form Question
- Configure Your Launch Form Questions
- Add Field Assignments
- Configure Permissions
- Related Articles
You must add a new launch form question and field for each Contract Relationship you want to establish in the workflow configuration. This field is how you store the relationship and the launch form question is how your users select the record to create the relationship with.
- In Ironclad, click the Workflow Designer tab. Click on the workflow configuration you want to edit.
- Click the Create tab.
- Click Add question to form or Add question to section.
- Choose the type of relationship you want to create: Related Record, Child Record, or Parent Record. For example, if you’re creating a renewal workflow and you want to link to the order form that is being renewed, or if you’re creating an Statement of Work (SOW) workflow and you want to link to the Master Service Agreement (MSA) that governs the SOW, you want to select Parent Record. Refer to Common Contract Relationship Use Cases for more use cases.
- Click Select field. If you haven’t already created a field, type the name of the field you want to create and click Add field. This can be something generic like Parent Record, Child Record, or Related Record.
- A panel on the left hand side displays with more details on the field. Click Save.
- On the launch form, type the question that you want use to prompt your workflow users to select the record to link to. You can add more detailed instructions in the helpful description section to help your users select the correct record. It is important to be as specific as possible here.
- You now have a basic field and launch form question that enables your workflow users to create a contract relationship. You can repeat these steps for as many relationships as you want to create on the workflow. The only limitation is that you can only create one Parent Record question.
Now that you have fields and launch form questions to establish each of your contract relationships, you must configure your questions to make it as easy as possible for your workflow users to to link to the correct records. To do this, you must configure the record search settings on each question.
- On the question, click Configure Search. A configuration modal displays that allows you to select searchable record types and properties to display.
- Selecting searchable record types helps you narrow down the search results that your workflow users will sort through to select the correct record to link to. For example, if you’re building an Order Form Renewal workflow and you know your workflow users will always be linking to Order Forms as Parent Records, then you might want to limit the search results to only show Order Form record types.
- Selecting properties to display allows you to select the information that is displayed for each search result. You should choose the properties that you think will best help your workflow users choose the correct record to link to. For example, if you’re building a renewal workflow and you want the workflow user to link to the record that is being renewed, showing the expiration date might help them choose the correct record.
Field assignments allow you to take data from a parent, child, or related record and map it to the fields on your workflow. For example, if you’re building an MSA renewal workflow, one of the fields you might want to track in your workflow is the agreement date of the MSA. If you’re linking to the MSA as a parent record, you can save your workflow user time and increase your data accuracy by pulling the Agreement Date property directly from that MSA.
- On the question, click Add Field Assignment. A form displays that has two selections: a dropdown with all of the fields on the parent/child/related record, and another dropdown with all of the fields on the workflow configuration.
- Choose the field on the parent/child/related record that you want to pull from in the first dropdown. Then choose the field on your current workflow configuration that you want to populate with that data in the second dropdown.
- Repeat this process to create as many field assignments as you want.
To establish a contract relationship in a workflow (in the launch form, Review step, or Archive step), users must be a member of a group that has at least Autocomplete and Contract Relationship-only access to the Repository. This permission setting allows them to use contract relationship to search in the workflow, but doesn’t give them access to the Repository or see full records.
- Contract Relationships Overview
- Create and Edit Related Records
- Common Contract Relationship Use Cases
- Types of Form Fields in Workflow Designer