This topic will walk you through how to change Repository group permissions from record type to per record.
If you want to learn more about Repository bulk edit permissions and how to configure them, refer to Repository Bulk Edit Permissions.
You can configure your Repository permissions on a per record basis. The steps below detail a use case of how to change your Repository permission configurations from a record type model to a per record model. The per record model give you more options and flexibility when customizing Repository permissions. Adapt these steps to your company’s needs.
WonderWeb Inc.’s Legal group can currently view and edit all NDAs because the group has view access to all NDA record types. WonderWeb Inc. wants to update their permissions so that their Legal group can only access NDAs that are not related to M&As.
- Click your profile icon in the top right corner, and then click Company Settings > Users and Groups > Groups.
- Click the Legal group, and then click Edit Group.
- In the Repository setting dropdown, select Choose access rights for specific Records and Record types. Click Save.
- If Select additional permissions for each Record type is selected, scroll down to the NDA record type configuration and confirm that Per-Record is selected from the dropdown.
- Navigate to Workflow Designer and edit the workflow definition that includes the NDA record type. Click the Create tab. On the launch form, create a Yes/No question for Is this NDA related to a Merger and Acquisition?, and name the attribute M&A.
- In the Fields and Conditions panel located on the left, click the plus sign icon > Add Condition.
- Name the condition Record Type = NDA and M&A = No. Define that Record Type is equal to NDA AND that M&A is equal to No.
- Click the Create tab, and then click Settings. In the Record Access section, click Add Access. Configure the access for the Legal groups by tagging the corresponding condition you created in step 7.
- Click Publish to publish the workflow configuration. Workflows launched from the workflow configuration adopt the newly configured permissions when the workflow becomes a record in Repository.
- The change in step 1 may remove the Legal group’s access to past NDAs in your Repository. If that is the case, follow these steps to re-grant permissions for NDA records:
- Click the Repository tab.
- Use the filter panel to create a report of all NDA Record Types where M&A is No.
- Click the More menu indicated by three stacked dots located in the upper right corner. In the Legal group row, select Can view and edit.
- Click Save. Keep the window open until the Changing Permissions bar at the bottom indicates that the permissions have been updated.
- Validate that the permissions are changed for a single record by selecting a record, navigating to the Record Access section, and confirming that Legal now has edit access to the record, represented by “(editors)” next to Legal’s group name.