The topic will walk you through how to use Okta SCIM with Ironclad. This includes how to create a bearer token, enable the integration, assign users to Ironclad, push groups, and troubleshoot.
Disclaimer: If you change your domain, your access to Ironclad is prohibited. Contact Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance before migrating a domain. Also contact Support (email@example.com) before deprovisioning any users as this may block your ability to continue your workflows.
- You must be able to create Ironclad API bearer tokens in your Ironclad company.
- You must have a SAML SSO connector configured in your Ironclad company before provisioning users with SCIM. To learn how to do this, refer to Okta SSO/SAML Integration. If you've previously configured a custom SAML connector using an older version of our Okta SSO/SAML Integration documentation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help migrating your Ironclad users to the Ironclad OIN connector.
Supported Okta Features
- Create Users
- Update User Attributes
- Deactivate Users
- Push Groups
- In Ironclad, click on your name located in the top right corner of Ironclad. Click Company Settings > API.
- Create a new bearer token for use by Okta. Name it something descriptive and memorable such as "Okta SCIM Provisioning Token".
- Copy the generated token that displays.
- Log in to Okta as an admin. Verify you are in the Admin Dashboard.
- In the left navigation bar, click Applications > Applications.
- Select the Ironclad application that was created when setting up SSO.
- Select the Provisioning tab, then click Configure API Integration.
- Turn on Enable API Integration.
- In the Base URL field, enter the base URL for the Ironclad stack you're configuring. In a production Ironclad instance, this URL is https://ironcladapp.com/scim/v2.
- In the API Token field, paste the API token you created above.
- Click Test API Credentials to confirm the connection works.
- Click Save.
Okta SSO/SAML Integration for instructions.
- In Okta, within the Ironclad application, click the Assignments tab.
- Click the Assign button and either select Assign to People or Assign to Groups* to configure which users are pushed into Ironclad.
- In Okta, within the Ironclad application, select the Push Groups tab.
- Click the Push Groups button and either select Find groups by name or Find groups by rule. Configure which groups are pushed into Ironclad.
Group Permissions Overview for more information.
Create Attribute Definition
- In Okta, in the left navigation bar, select Directory > Profile Editor.
- Select the Ironclad application.
- Click Add Attribute. An example configuration for the “title” attribute is shown below. Note the specific values for the external name and external namespace.
- Click Save.
- Click Mappings, then select Okta User to Ironclad. Map the attribute.
Mapping ExamplesWhen creating attributes, the "External name" and "External namespace" settings must match exactly and are recorded below for each custom attribute. Additionally, refer to Supported User Attributes to understand which schema the attributes belong to - this will define the namespace value.
- User’s Title
- External name: “title”
- External namespace: “urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:core:2.0:User”
- User's Department
- External name: “department”
- External namespace: “urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:enterprise:2.0:User”
- User’s Management Level
- External name: “managementLevel”
- External namespace: “urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:ironclad:2.0:User”
- Ironclad does not support changing a user's email or userName fields via SCIM.
- Ironclad does not support "deactivated" or "suspended" users. Users deactivated in Okta are soft-deleted in Ironclad.
- The use of SCIM to manage users who are members of multiple companies is not supported.
- The use of SCIM in a company with multiple SAML connectors is not supported.
Import GroupsWhen configuring provisioning in Okta, you may find that preexisting groups from your Ironclad account appear in Okta in a read-only state. If you do not want this, you may disable group import.
To disable group import, refer to Remove Groups Imported from Provisioning-Enabled Apps in Okta's Help Center.
- If you do not remove any imported groups, you must remove them via Okta's API with a remove group call.
- If the Import Groups checkbox isn't present, you must contact Okta support and request that SELECTIVE_APP_IMPORT_PLATFORM be enabled.