This topic walks you through how to modify role assignments in Workflow Designer. This includes how to add parallel and sequential approvers, reorder approvers, and convert sequential approvers to parallel approvers.
Approvers review and approve contracts. There are a variety of ways you can customize your approvers to meet your company’s needs. You can add sequential approvers groups so that approvers are notified and required to approve one after. You can also add parallel approvers so that approvers are notified at the same time and can approve at any time, in no particular order.
If you want to add conditional role assignment, check out Build Conditional Role Assignments. Conditional role assignments enable you to define when a user should be notified throughout the workflow process based on conditions in your workflow.
- Configure Approvers
- Convert Sequential Approvers to Parallel Approvers
- Trigger Approval
- Reset Approval
- Reset All Existing Approvals
- Click on the Workflow Designer tab and select the workflow configuration you want to modify. Click on the Review tab.
- Click the drop-down beneath the role and add users or groups. We recommend adding a group as an approver, even if there is only one user in that group. This is so that in the future, you can add more members to the assigned group and reassign the role to others in the group with ease.
- Click on the title and add a descriptive title. This is how the role appears once a workflow is launched.
- If you want to add sequential approvers groups so that approvers are notified and required to approve one after:
- Verify Send approval notifications in order is enabled.
- Click Add next approver. A new approval tier in sequence.
- Configure your approval tier. When a workflow is launched, the approve button will display during the Review step only when it is the approvers turn to approve.
- If you want to add parallel approvers so that approvers are notified at the same time and can approve at any time, in no particular order:
- Click Add approver. A new approver is added.
- If you want ALL approver to be parallel approvers, deselect Send approval notifications.
- Configure your approver. When a workflow is launched, the approve button displays during the Review step for the parallel approvers at the same time. Parallel approvers can approve at any time, in any order.
- If you want to add conditional role assignment, check out Build Conditional Role Assignments. Conditional role assignments enable you to define when a user should be notified throughout the workflow process based on conditions in your workflow.
- If you want to reorder your approvers, use the up and down arrows.
- If you want to reorder your steps, click the three stacked dots > Reorder steps.
- Click Save.
Convert Sequential Approvers to Parallel Approvers
If you want to convert your sequential approvers to parallel approvers, there are three different ways to accomplish this based on your use case:
Merge Two Sequential Approval Tiers
If you want to merge to sequential approvers into one tier, click the three stacked dots > Merge with step below.
Convert Sequential Approvers to Parallel Approvers
To make ALL approvers parallel approvers, deselect Send approval notifications in order. When you turn off this setting, all sequencing is turned off.
Trigger Approval After Workflow Update
Use the Re-trigger this approver after workflow updates setting to indicate when which Approvers should review all versions of a workflow’s documents and metadata, and which Approvers should only be asked to review the workflow once.
Click on the Workflow Designer tab and select the workflow configuration you want to modify. Click on the Review tab. By default, approvals are reset when:
- A new document is uploaded via Update Document.
- A new version is saved via Ironclad Editor.
- Metadata information is changed via Edit Info.
- A user reverts the workflow back to the Review step.
To indicate that an approval should not reset in those scenarios, deselect Trigger this approver after workflow updates.
You can allow users who submit a workflow to select approvers in the Launch Form. Select Trigger this approver when and select a condition. This will automatically create a dropdown question in the Launch Form for that approver role, allowing workflow requesters to decide who should approve the workflow. Below the sections title, you can click Add Instructions to add instructions for your approvers.
The first group listed in the Select Approver From section is the assigned user once the workflow has launched. If only groups are listed in this section, the assignment method is routed to the Default user of the first listed group.
Use the Reset approval when dropdown to configure the specific scenarios in which an approval should be reset.
You may approvals to be reset when:
- Draft documents update via Ironclad Editor or Update Documents
- Workflow reverts to Review
- Certain metadata has changed via Edit Info
By default, Reset approval when is set to Always, which means that an approval will always be reset in all of the scenarios above. If you don’t select anything, the approval will Never be reset.
Note: If you have workflow owner assigned as an approver, their approval will Always be reset when a workflow reverts to Review.
Reset All Existing Approvals
If you need to make an update without resetting the already collected approvals, you can deselect the Reset all existing approvals toggle. This maintains the approvals already collected, no matter how the workflow definition is set up.