This topic walks you through how to set up your approvals in Workflow Designer. This includes adding approvers, reordering approvers, and resetting approvals.
Approvers review and approve contracts. There are a variety of ways you can customize your approvers to meet your company’s needs. You can add sequential approvers groups so that approvers are notified and required to approve one after. You can also add parallel approvers so that approvers are notified at the same time and can approve at any time, in no particular order.
If you want to add conditional role assignments, refer to Build Conditional Role Assignments. Conditional role assignments enable you to define when a user should be notified throughout the workflow process based on conditions in your workflow.
- Click on the Workflow Designer tab and select the workflow configuration you want to modify. Click on the Review tab.
- Click the dropdown beneath the role and add users or groups. See Select Approval From section below for more information. Recommended: Add a group as an approver, even if there is only one user in that group, to facilitate reassigning the role to others in the group in the future.
- Click on the title and add a descriptive title for your role. This is how the role appears once a workflow is launched.
- If you want to add sequential approvers groups so that approvers are notified and required to approve one after the other:
- Verify Collect approvals in order is enabled.
- Click Add next approver. This creates new approval tier in sequence.
- Configure your approval tier. When a workflow is launched, the approve button will display during the Review step only when it is the approver’s turn to approve.
- If you want to add parallel approvers so that approvers are notified at the same time and can approve at any time, in no particular order:
- Click Add approver. A new approver is added.
- If you want ALL approvers to be parallel approvers, deselect Collect approvals in order.
- Configure your approver. When a workflow is launched, parallel approvers can approve at any time, in any order. The approve button displays during the Review step for the parallel approvers at the same time.
- Trigger Approval. Set up when you want your approvers to be looped into the workflow using conditions. By default, an approver is configured to Always trigger.
- If you want to add conditional role assignment, refer to Build Conditional Role Assignments. Conditional role assignments enable you to further control who is assigned to your Approver Role based on conditions.
- If you want to reorder your approvers, use the up and down arrows or click the three stacked dots > Reorder steps.
- Click Save.
You can select who is assigned as an approver in the following ways:
- Select approver from a user in your Ironclad instance.
- Select approver from a role in your Ironclad instance.
- Select approver from a group in your Ironclad instance. By default, the approver is assigned to the default user in the group.
- Instead of assigning to the default user in a group, you can also allow users who submit a workflow to select the approver in the Launch Form. Select List of users in a form question. This will automatically create a dropdown question in the Launch Form for that approver role, allowing workflow requesters to decide who should approve the workflow.
Use the Reset approval when dropdown to configure the specific scenarios in which an approval should be reset.
You may approvals to be reset when:
- Draft documents update via Ironclad Editor or Update Documents.
- Workflow reverts to Review.
- Metadata changes via Edit Info.
- If you want Legal to approve again if a document is redlined, set the Reset approval condition to Draft documents update.
- If you want the Workflow Owner to approve again if your workflow reverts to Review from the Sign step, add the Reset approval condition Workflow reverts to Review.
- If you want Finance to approve again, only if the Total Contract Value has changed, set the Reset approval condition to the field tied to Total Contract Value.
Admin Control of Resetting Approvals